Studies show that owning a dog can improve your health, but did you know that it can also provide valuable lessons on how to live a happy life? If you take the time to notice, your dog gives you pointers on how to live life to the fullest each and every day.
Here, we've broken down these pointers into six simple steps.
1. Be loyal: Dogs are faithful, reliable, loyal, and they love unconditionally.
2. See the people in your life with new eyes: After a long day at the office, who or what are you excited to see? Is it your dog's cute mug and wagging tail? There's no better feeling than a warm doggie-greeting. Every time your dog sees you, it’s like they’re seeing you for the first time in years. Try greeting the people in your life with the same enthusiasm, warmth and excitement.
3. Forgive and forget: Have you ever accidentally stepped on your pup’s tail and heard their awful yelp? Take notice that only a minute later they’re right back to playing and loving you. Dogs don’t hold grudges because they live in the moment. So, take a cue from your dog and choose to forgive, forget, and move on.
4. Live life to the fullest: Watch as your dog goes through his daily routine. Every scent is new, every person is special, and every bit of food is appreciated. Take joy in the small things, don't sweat the small stuff, and relish the moment.
5. Take a hike: What dog doesn’t love being outside? They love going for walks and hikes, and generally being active. We should too, as exercise is good for our mind, body, and soul. Cesar always says that the foundation of your relationship with your dog begins with the walk. It's a great bonding exercise with a multitude of other benefits.
6. Take a nap: Have you ever noticed how dogs can sleep anywhere? When they need a nap, they aren't ashamed to take a break and recharge. Colleges and workplaces are beginning to open up designated "nap stations" and "nap rooms" to enhance productivity and improve the overall health of their students and employees. Studies show that taking a 15-30 minute nap reenergizes us, and makes us feel more creative and alert. So if you can, try and set aside 15 minutes a day to curl up with your pup and catch a few zzz’s.
What other pointers can we take from our four-legged best friends on good living?